HELP!! User issue

zer0halo zerohalo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 19:56:30 UTC 2004

Thanks, everyone for your help. Unfortunately my mistake in renaming
my user name has resulted in a second problem, which I'm wondering if
you
might be able to help me with as well?

Audio doesn't work anymore--xmms, rhythmbox, etc. in fact, not even
the volume control works anymore. xmms gives me an error that it fails
to open the audio output driver.

I haven't otherwise messed with my system, so my guess is that when I
had changed my user name and was logged in as that user, the audio
output channel was opened and then not properly closed (somehow). Now
that I've changed my user name back, the system finds the audio output
channel to already be open and therefore won't run. But that's just my
guess.I've trying renaming the user back again and it still doesn't work.

dmsg doesn't give anything helpful that I can see. ps x doesn't show
any audio processes running that I can tell. But I'm relatively new so
I might not be looking for the right thing.

Any help? Where do I look? Any way to "release" the audio output
channels by force?

Thanks!

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:19:25 +0100, Oliver Grawert
<hostmaster at grawert.net> wrote:
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 22.11.2004, 23:09 -0700 schrieb zer0halo:
> > Thanks, Vram, you just saved me a few more grey hairs :-)
> >
> for the future here are some nice tips:
> https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/RootSudo
>
> :)
>
> ciao