umask in ubuntu

Tue Nov 23 16:31:22 UTC 2004

Hi,
I've tried to change the umask in ubuntu to create files with a
different set of permissions (umask 002).
So I've searched in .bash_profile
Where I've founded this:
# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
# the files are located in the bash-doc package.

# the default umask is set in /etc/login.defs
#umask 022

So I was assuming to change the umask in /etc/login.defs
Actually I didn't understant if the login package is used even by the
Gnome Display Manager to log in the user, is it? I guess it's not cause
changing umask there does nothing....

I've solved changing umask in /etc/bash.bashrc
Or better now every file created from a shell have the new umask. But
files created from programs like OpenOffice.org and other in GUI (like
GIMP) doesn't!

Is this normal? How can I handle it?

Thanks in advance,
Enrico