gdesklets broken install?

Sami Haahtinen ressu at ressukka.net
Tue Nov 23 06:43:00 UTC 2004

Senectus . wrote:
>  I'm trying to install gdesklets and I keep getting an odd error,
> something about samba ?!?! (what has gdesklets got to do with samba?!)
> this is the out put..

You appear to have unconfigured samba, what have you done to it?! The
problem appears because apt tries to configure all unconfigured, but
configurable packages in dpkg.

> Setting up samba (3.0.7-1ubuntu6.2) ...
> update-rc.d: warning: /etc/rc2.d/K09samba is not a link to ../init.d/samba
> update-rc.d: warning: /etc/rc3.d/K09samba is not a link to ../init.d/samba
> invoke-rc.d: dangling symlink: /etc/rc2.d/K09samba
> dpkg: error processing samba (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 102

Now, you appear to have broken runlevel links to the samba init script,
you could try removing those files /etc/rc2.d/K09samba and
/etc/rc3.d/K09samba, the postinstall should recreate them for you and
you system should work as planned again.

> Setting up gdesklets (0.26.2-5ubuntu1) ...

It looks like gdesklets was installed properly after all this, though.

Sami