java-package

Bruno Dusausoy bdusauso at beeznest.net
Tue Nov 23 06:08:47 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 01:27 +0000,
use_real_email at volcano.xlogicgroup.com wrote:
> Would someone explain to me what's so great about java-package or any of
> those other java package installers.

It's cleaner. And it tells apt that the package is installed. So if you
want to install java programs the Debian way (that is, with dpkg or
whatever frontend you want), this is the only way.

> What's wrong with downloading it from java.com and installing it the
> way that Sun says you should?

In this case, the "system" (the Debian system) doesn't know you've
installed a JVM or the JDK. So when you'll try to install a Debian
package that needs Java, it simply won't install because the system will
think you haven't install the latter.

--
Bruno Dusausoy <bdusauso at beeznest.net>