Another reason not to use sudo?

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Tue Nov 23 01:48:02 UTC 2004

Colin Watson wrote:

> As the Debian OpenSSH maintainer, I consider it a bug; there are
> certainly situations where you might want to disable encryption, for
> example when you have full control over the network and you want to
> maximise throughput but retain the convenience of ssh public-key
> authentication. Note that '-c none' would disable bulk encryption for
> the data transferred during the session, but would *not* disable
> encryption of secrets during authentication.
>
> Cheers,

There's also the point that not all information's worth encrypting. It's
of no great consequence to me if someone takes a copy of the ubuntu ISO
I download or know I'm reading mail on ubuntu-list.

Privacy is another matter, but privacy's violated when they try.

OTOH if encryption impacts on download time that does matter.