advice to bluetooth users (Broadcom Bluetooth USB Firmware)

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Fri Nov 12 22:05:03 UTC 2004

Hi Max,

> >>Yes, the BlueZ project has permission to redistribute it.
>
> According to the instruction that I got from Broadcom. BCM firmware can be
> distributed as part of the BlueZ GPL packages and must include BCM.LEGAL.TXT file
> which has copyright and contact information in it.
> I'm not a lawyer of course but as far as I understand it is perfectly fine for Ubuntu
> to distribute BCM firmware as part of bluez-bluefw GPL package.

thanks for the clarification. And I separated the firmware from the
loader program. The new package is called bluez-firmware and the loader
is part of the utils package.

> btw Marcel, latest drivers/bluetooth/bcm203x.c still does not mentioned that it
> is based on my bluefw implementation.

I had a patch that simply adds you to the copyright line, but you are
right it is not present in the latest tree. I've redone it now and the
patch will go mainline as soon as possible. Sorry for this.

Regards

Marcel