Intel 536ep based modem

ubuntu at plumcreek.us ubuntu at plumcreek.us
Mon Nov 22 17:58:00 UTC 2004

I'm trying to install Ubuntu at a friend's house. He wants to get off of
Windows and I was glad to oblige him. :-)

The install went fine. Ubuntu boots and everything is lovely, except for
the modem. It's not working.

The device manager reports that his modem is an Intel 536ep modem. I went
to Intel's site and downloaded some rpms for several different distros.

How do I install the drivers and get the modem set up for use?

Thanks!

-- Daniel

P.S. The only internet access I have at his house currently is when I boot
his computer into Win98. In Ubuntu I don't have any access yet (that's why
I'm trying to get the modem to work), so I can't do anything that requires
a 'live' internet connection.

Thanks again.