USB pendrive not mounted, errors in DMESG

Call Me Ishmael callmeishmael at tiscali.it
Mon Nov 22 09:12:04 UTC 2004

> The lshal output is:
> *** [DIE] lshal.c:dump_devices():70 : Couldn't obtain list of devices

this looks like hal isnt running proper....is your device manager app
working ? is the drive shown there ?

You're right, device manager in gnome doesn't work, and it tells me that hal is not
working.
May be this is no relevant, but I forgot to say in my first post that i blacklisted the pciehp
and shpchp modules to get rid of the fatal errors during boot, and that currently i'm
booting with the noapic option, because I was told that this may solve some usb issues.
But I had the problem with my usb drive even before I made the above changes to
default setup.

>>  unable to read partition table
>are there actually no partitions or did you probably mount /dev/sda on
>your knoppix instead of sda1 ?

I'm not sure I'm understanding the point, here. With Knoppix and the Debian Woody, the
pendrive gets mounted on /dev/sda1, not on /dev/sda.
My PC has no actual scsi devices, but in the 2.4 kernel the cdburner on hdc was using
scsi emulation. I still don't know how the 2.6 handles it.

/dev/hda is my (only) hard disk
/dev/hdb is my cdrom
/dev/hdc is my cdburner
/dev/sda1 is (was :P) my pendrive

in /dev/ directory I don't have any /sdaN or /sgN entry.

>it looks like your kernel does the job fine, but hal does not work right
>here (normally it should just show up on the desktop if plugged in).

>ciao

ciao e grazie  :-)