Real Player or Helix Player on Warty?

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 06:42:49 UTC 2004

> Somehow it did seem like a good idea to use alien and then install the
> resulting .deb, but I can't help but think that the installer works
> just fine and that seems like an extra (useless?) step. Is there any
> benefit to using alien on the .rpm and using apt to install the
> resulting .deb? Or does it not matter?

personally for something like this I usually prefer using the
installer over a rpm modifed by alien, or a deb package: with the
installer I have a better control on where exactly all the files will
be installed on my machine (for realplayer, they went into my /opt),
and if something breaks things are easier to repair.