harmless(?) hotplug errors on boot

Bill Stoye skiffworks at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 20 14:26:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 18:28 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 19.11.2004, 08:51 -0800 schrieb Bill Stoye:
> > easy_target:
> > I'm one step removed from "n00b" myself, and have been wanting to put a
> > stop to the 'Fail' messages on boot, 'Fail' messages are scary to a
> > retired aircraft mechanic!
> >
> > When someone refers to a file(in this case: "/etc/hotplug/blacklist"), I
> > usually take a look at the file by opening it as a regular "user" with
> > 'gedit'(Found in menu: Applications -> Accesories -> 'Text Editor') and
> > see what is in the file and try to understand what I need to do. If it's
> > something I can deal with, then I'll go ahead and open the file as
> > 'Supper User', as follows:
> > $ "sudo gedit /etc/hotplug/blacklist"(everything between quotes)
> > Password:***** (enter your user password)
> >
> > Gedit will open, you'll see the file and can make changes to it:
> > Any of the lines with a # sign in the beginning of it are "uncommented
> > out", that is they are not recognized by the program looking at this
> > file and are only informational. So we should be able to add the two
> > module names("shpchp" and "pciehp") to the list; highlighting the email
> > instructions or commands and pasting them into the editor works well for
> > me because it puts a stop to my dyslexia(prevents transposing errors).
> > After, remembering to 'save' the changes, close the editor and reboot.
> >
> > Worked well for me. Hope I wasn't too wordy or assuming and works for
> > you.
> would you mind making a wiki page out of this ? it is such a beautiful
> writing and deals so carefull with the issue that i would love to point
> inexperienced users to it if the question comes up.

I'm sorry Oli, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to use
and contribute to the Wiki but it's over my head. I tried following the
slide presentation along with just about every How To page I came
across.

Possibly it may be due to this note on the home page:
"Please do not edit the wiki, we are moving over to a new wiki system -
any CHANGES YOU MAKE WILL BE LOST - watch this space for an
anouncenent."

I tried to follow the instructions in:
<WikiCourse/BasicIntroduction/900 Exercises>
And received a message that I'm not allowed to make changes to the title
as the page instructs me to do so(I was logged in).

A long winded explanation of why I'm not able to help, when I would very
much like to.

Bill