sound problems continued

Markus Hubig ubuntu at pot.ath.cx
Fri Nov 19 23:25:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Christian Williamson wrote:

> well I think were making some progress here, which is awesome.
>
> cerebrix at ubuntu:~ $ ps ax | grep [u]devd
>   364 ?        S<s    0:00 udevd
>
> now as soon as i use the tail command i notice:
>
> Nov 19 12:46:30 localhost kernel: cx8800[0]: AUD_STATUS: 0x1372 [mono/no
> pilot] ctl=BTSC_AUTO_STEREO
> Nov 19 12:46:33 localhost kernel: cx8800[0]: AUD_STATUS: 0x1332 [mono/no
> pilot] ctl=BTSC_AUTO_STEREO
> Nov 19 12:46:36 localhost kernel: cx8800[0]: AUD_STATUS: 0x12f2 [mono/no
> pilot] ctl=BTSC_AUTO_STEREO
>
> the above error gets spammed over and over and over.  if i reload the
> module as you suggested i finally hear a small pop from my speakers

This is a good sign! It means that you soundcard is "touched" by the
module.

> which tells me the soundcard did in fact just try to do something.  once
> i heard that the above cx8800 kept spamming itself in the logfile but
> dispite that i tried to play sound anyway.  it did not play sound.  is
> it possible that the cx8800 thing is blocking it somehow?  i dont even
> know what that module is for.

| modinfo cx8800

says this module is for your "cx2388x based TV card" ... and Im not shure
this is an error msg. But anyway I think your problem is that there are
no /dev/ devices created. Maybe you can do this manualy with

| cd /dev; sudo /sbin/MAKEDEV audio

and see what happens ... another thing you can do is unloading the cx8800
module and try reloading snd_ice1724. Oh and take a look at the output of

| dmesg |grep ice

   - Markus

--
Gravitation can not be held responsible for people falling in love
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)