manual network setting

Noah Dain noahdain at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 00:15:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:09:09 +0100, Loptr Chaote <loptr.chaote at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:00:54 +1100, David Coldrick <coldrick at gmail.com > wrote:
> > Ubuntu (Hoary) is working well for me. On startup, however, the
> > networking config takes a looonnnngg time: I assume it's trying both
> > the wire and the wireless. Is there some way I can set it up so that
> > *I* set which of the two to try after boot? The /etc/init.d/networking
> > script is presumably the one that does this: how do I prevent it being
> > run during boot?
>
> I believe you want to look in /etc/networking/, especially the file
> interfaces. (Also do 'man interfaces' to read about it).
>
> Disabling DHCP should remove the long delay you describe, since it's
> most likely due to the interface waiting for a DHCP response before
> proceeding.
>
> -L.C

try installing ifplugd.  hotplug can use it to start interfaces.  For
example, with ifplugd installed, I can boot my laptop without a cable
in the nic port and the system does not try to bring the interface up.
 However, when I plug the cable in, it brings it up automagically.
Same experience with pcmcia/cardbus wlan.  It's pretty sweer.

you can tinker with it's behaviour in /etc/default/ifplugd

-noah