No DMA for IDE DVD drive?

mainlylinux ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Nov 18 23:42:21 UTC 2004

Hi guys - this advice worked for me too (kinda).  I wanna share what I
did in case someone else has a similar problem with the same chipset
(nForce) as me.  PS my motherboard is a gigabyte ga-7n400.  This fixed
my poor dvd playback, but it would also probably help people who have
slow cdrom access as well.  My system uses the built in ide controller
for the dvd drive and SATA for the main hard drive.

I was getting a failure when trying to set dma on using hdparm -d1
/dev/hdc - the exact same failure as the first guy in this post.

I don't have a via chipset, I'm using an nForce chipset with a K7
2500+.  Apparently the IDE portion is recognized as an amd74xx .

This module (amd74xx) isn't listed in /etc/modules directly - not sure
where it gets called from.  I do see it loaded with dependancies to ide
modules when I run lsmod.  I added it to the file /etc/modules ahead of
the ide modules, rebooted, and viola - dma goodness, with unmask irq
and 32bit transfers enabled already.

Thanks everyone, thanks ubuntu team, thanks Mark Shuttleworth!!

--
mainlylinux