merchandise & personal attacks

Kevin Mulligan kevin at teamindecisive.com
Thu Nov 18 21:45:26 UTC 2004

Wow...

I am bringing this on-list because I feel the whole community needs to
be reminded of the Code of Conduct, the spirit of Ubuntu, and plainly,
rudeness aimed at each other and new users as of late on the list.

 From UbuntuLinux.org : /"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning
"humanity to others". Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who
we all are".

/You are not showing humanity to others (namely David, Christians, and
Americans or anyone not from your culture), nor are you accepting of
'who we all are' (those previously listed things), nor are you following
the standard which you so mightly say you subscribe to : the Ubuntu Code
of Conduct.

Let me just help everyone out by copying and pasting certain parts of
the Code of Conduct, in hopes that tempers will subside and we will all
become level headed again.

"This Code of Conduct covers your behaviour as a member of the Ubuntu
Community, in any forum, _/*mailing list*/_, wiki, web site, IRC
channel, install-fest, public meeting or _/*private correspondence*/_.
The Ubuntu Community Council will arbitrate in any dispute over the
conduct of a member of the community.

*Be considerate*. Your work will be used by other people, and you in
turn will depend on the work of others.

*Be respectful*. The Ubuntu community and its members/ treat one another
with respect/. Everyone can make a valuable contribution to Ubuntu. _/We
may not always agree/_, _/but disagreement it no excuse for *poor
behaviour and poor manners*/_. We might all experience some frustration
now and then, but we cannot allow that frustration to turn into a
/personal attack/. It's important to remember that a community where
people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one. We
expect members of the Ubuntu community to be respectful when dealing
with other contributors as well as with people outside the Ubuntu
project, and with users of Ubuntu.

*When you disagree, consult others*. Disagreements, both political and
technical, happen all the time and the Ubuntu community is no exception.
The important goal is not to avoid disagreements or differing views but
to _/resolve them constructively/_."

And from the mailing list portion:
"/2. Please avoid flamewars, trolling,* personal attacks*, and
repetitive arguments./

Now, specific responses to Mr. Oluwa:
/"Your effort to silence me is a reflection of your grasp of what it
means to be "in Christ"."
/This is a personal attack. Who says he is trying to silence you? I read
it as trying to constructively come to resolution of the problem of
merchandise production and shipping. And on top of that, you mock
Christians worldwide. You are aware this is a worldwide distribution
with worldwide users, correct? It baffles the mind why you would do this.

"/I received many messages in support of my objection - some of them
from UbuntuLinux high-command, so it is for you to migrate or remain
using a distribution that was created from African sweat and monetary
resources, where users will oppose right-wing promulgation in undying
defence of the African struggle for humanitarian justice. "
/This is the classic "I have more friends" motto. Good for you that you
had many messages in support. Perhaps David has the same thing? Perhaps
many users, especially of those you alienated with your earlier
comments, have sent him messages of support?

I would also like to challenge the 'African sweat' comment. Yes, African
work went into this distribution. As did the 'sweat' of many other
peoples around the world. This is NOT an African only distribution. If
it were, you'd have to remove all of the current maintainers and
developers and docteam members that are not from Africa. If you'd like
to do this, I grant you free will. Good luck with your African-only
distribution. However, that is not Ubuntu.
/
"Maybe you should research the Ubuntu Community Code of Conduct and the
history and philosophy of Mark Shuttleworth and then make a public
apology./"
If you've read this far, you've seen pieces of the Community Code of
Conduct that you yourself are violating. Who are you to demand apologies?

While it would be great if the peoples of South Africa could benefit
from production of Ubuntu merchandise, shipping boxes of t-shirts from
South Africa to the US (where, unfortunately for Mr. Oluwa, a good many
users currently reside and is one of the countries where the amount of
growth for Ubuntu could skyrocket due to the number of computers per
household) is simply a poor idea and would be costly. Someone earlier
mentioned having a producer on each continent to help keep costs down --
this is a great idea! I am saddened to see such hatred toward Americans
and Christians coming from one user. This reeks of self-pride and is
definitely, /in my opinion only/, not in the spirit of Ubuntu.

So please, let's all remember: "/I am what I am because of who we all
are."/ Not, "/I am what I am because I am African and all non-Africans
are capitalist pigs."/

Thank you for reading,
--Kevin