Who is using dualhead? we need a howto

Sean Legassick sean_legassick at datamage.net
Thu Nov 18 13:41:59 UTC 2004

Alexander Poslavsky wrote:
> we need a howto to get things like dualhead etc working well. If you
> are using it, could you send me a write-up how you did it or put it
> straight in the wiki?
>
> wiki: https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/FinishInstallationHowto

I'm happy to edit the wiki, would like some advice on how to structure
what I have.

Basically I had a four-hour nightmare configuring my Toshiba's Geforce
chip to do dual-head properly. Partly this was due to the distraction of
"TwinView" which turned out to be a dead-end, and mostly this was
getting the nvidia binary driver to play nice with my laptop LCD (quite
aside from dual-headedness). Once past these hurdles the actual Xinerama
config was straightforward and works very nicely (bar an Xterm
maximisation glitch and some nasty gnome-terminal slowdown)

So I have some info that is generalish (applies to NVidia dual-output
cards more than it does to a dual-card config), and some that is very
specific to my hardware (Toshiba Satellite 2410-303). How would you lay
this out without making a mess?

Cheers,
Sean