Where's FireFox 1.0?

Andrew Zbikowski andyzib at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 22:46:25 UTC 2004

For the brave and bold, you can rebuild the Hoary's deb packages on Warty...

1. Make sure you have the Warty deb-src lines uncommented in
/etc/apt/sources.list.

2. Run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get build-dep mozilla-firefox
&& sudo apt-get install libkrb5-dev libgnome2-dev
(the last two packages are required by 1.0, but not 0.98 or whatever
is packaged in Warty)

3. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list again, add the following line.
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main

4. Run sudo apt-get update again.

5. Make a temporary directory to hold the source code...

6. Change to your source code directory (ie: cd ~/tmp) and run:
 apt-get source mozilla-firefox
(this is a 40mb download. Grab some coffee)

7. cd to the newly created mozilla-firefox-1.0 directory (ie: cd
~/tmp/mozilla-firefox-1.0) and run following command from the mozilla

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

(If you get an error about fakeroot, run sudo apt-get install fakeroot)

8. Cross your fingers and wait. I'm at this step right now.

9. Install the resulting .deb files with dpkg -i filename.deb. (ie: cd
~/tmp; dpkg -i mozilla-firefox-blah_blah.deb)

Step 9 is subject to change depending on how step 8 goes on my system.
:D I'll keep you updated....
--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it