Remote access through tightVnc viewer - high CPU / freeze

Enn Pee enn_p at yahoo.com.sg
Wed Nov 17 08:35:54 UTC 2004

Hi,

I set up ubuntu warty release for remote access with a
password and later tried to access from my tightVNC
viewer running on my Windows XP PC. I was able to
login but the CPU usage on the ubuntu linux box kept
on increasing and reached almost 100%. I did not run
any specific applications or any other commands to
invoke any other application. My VNCviewer got freezed
and when I killed tis window, then only the CPU level
came back to normal on ubuntu box.

ANother few times, I was able to get the login prompt
through VNCviewer client but the cursor always
remained in password field and clicking the username
field did not provide any response. Well, whatever the
password you provide, can not login. But going to
console and type in the same password works and allows
me to login.

Is this a bug in the VNC server in ubuntu linux ?

I have used the same VNCviewer to login to other
windows box and no problem.

Thanks

ennpee