/etc/profile and ~/.bash_profile are not being read

janne jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Wed Nov 17 08:16:39 UTC 2004

ons 2004-11-17 klockan 08:47 +0100 skrev Matthias Klose:
> Am Mittwoch, den 17.11.2004, 10:16 +0900 schrieb janne:
> > A constant source of frustration is that neither /etc/profile, nor
> > ~/.bash_profile are being read, and thus I can't use these for adding
> > stuff to my PATH, or other things.
> >
> > Anybody has a solution to this? Is this a real bug, or is there some
> > other, prefferred way to do stuff like that?
> >
> > And in any case, should'nt these files be honoured in any case, seeing
> > as how they are standard on other systems?
> They are honored. Assuming you are using the Gnome Terminal, enable the
> option "Run Shell As Command Shell" (or similiar).

That won't help set the relevant stuff at login. And it would mean
either namually run my first shell explicitly as a login shell, or
havign every terminal do so (which defeats the point of
using .bash_profile rather than .bashrc in the first place).

In any case, for now I'm using .gnomerc.

Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.
Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden