GUI server tools?

Wouter Eerdekens retuow at
Tue Nov 16 19:02:24 UTC 2004

Eric Dunbar wrote:
> A me too. I just used sudo to compile webmin. No root login required.

Nice to now. But I saw a thread on this in the beginning of october that
a root password was required. Since I don't use webmin, I can't tell. I
just tought I'd warn you of possible problems. But nice to know it works.

> PS Is Ubunutu (1) somewhat similar, (2) very similar, or (3) virtually
> identical to Debian 3.1?

I think (1) somewhat similar is the correct answer. See this story:

(an interview with Jeff Waugh on Ubuntu)

> Eric.
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:49:47 -0500, Romeyn Prescott
> <prescor at> wrote:
>>I beg to differ, but I just installed webmin using nothing more than
>>'sudo -s' and then running the install script.  I have not activated
>>the root user.
>>At 3:56 PM +0100 11/16/04, Wouter Eerdekens scribbled:
>>>Please note that Webmin cannot be installed with sudo. You'll have to
>>>activate a root password with
>>>sudo passwd
>>>and become "real" root to install Webmin. I haven't installed it myself
>>>(I like the CLI) but I've seen it mentioned on this list before.

Wouter Eerdekens
                                     "Revenge is a dish best served cold"
retuow at                              -- Ancient Klingon Proverb