How to stop unwanted servrices during boot

Wouter Eerdekens retuow at xs4all.be
Tue Nov 16 16:45:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 05:37:38PM +0100, Le grand pinguin wrote:
> > That's right. The update-rc.d stuff doesn't work across upgrades
> > of packages (ie. when you remove the samba initscript with this,
> > an upgrade of the samba package will re-enable the startup script)
>
> Update-rc.d _doesn't_ remove init scripts, it does remove the symlinks.

That's what I meant. Sorry 'bout that.

> Autsch, that hurts! The canonical way of configuring this would
> be by mens of '/etc/defaults/<servicename>'. Many services do
> have an option to enable/disable startup in this file (for example:
> apache2 has a 'NO_START=1').

To be picky, it would be the Debian way :-) But I know what you mean.
The problem is that not all services have this, and that the option is
not the same everywhere (ie. some services may have a DISABLED=1 option).
SSH for example checks for a file called

/etc/ssh/sshd_not_to_be_run

to see whether it should start or not. There's simply no standard here.

And the chmod 'hack' is mentioned in the wiki package posted here
earlier... So lots of people will be doing this by regarding stuff in the
wiki as semi-official documentation.

In my opinion the chmod thing is our 'best' option at the moment.

Cheers,
Wouter

--
Wouter Eerdekens