Array CD 1

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Nov 15 21:18:32 UTC 2004

Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 12:58:06AM +0800, John wrote:
>
>>I've not yet seen one of your official CD packages but I assume it
>>includes source on CD in compliance with the GPL para 3.a). That's what
>>Red Hat does.
>

> We don't include source on the CD itself, because it doesn't anywhere
> near fit; the source takes up a CD and a bit, in fact. A mirror of he
> set of source packages producing the set of binary packages on the CD is
> currently the most straightforward approach.

Where is this set enumerated?

The only think I can think of to do atm is to install everything and
then apt-get -source everything.

Of course, that doesn't get everything: only nearly so.

>>If you already have a procedure in place to create a source ISO, then I
>>don't see that running it and publishing the result is a big deal.
>

> We do, sort of, but it's raw and untested at the moment.
>
> However, you're right that source ISO images would be useful in some
> contexts, and they've been on my to-do list for a while. I'll see what I
> can do about them today.

Thanks Colin.

I often download source ISOs so I know I have the source I want when I
want it.  Since I've been on Debian I've not bothered (are there ISOs)
because, until a year ago, I was on DSL and that was suifficiently prompt.