DVD playback slow

Andreas Dittrich dittrich at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 15 20:53:28 UTC 2004

Hi there,

I have a problem with playing DVDs. It works, but completely loads my
system. When I check top it shows about 60-70% X-Usage. So the video is
kinda choppy. This happens with every dvd-player out there: mplayer,
ogle, xine, totem-xine oder totem-gstreamer.
As far as I know dma is turned on. My System is a p3-700 with a gf2.
Nvidia drivers get loaded correctly and 3d-games work as expected.
can anybody help out?

Thx, Andreas

PS: Besides that I really like Ubuntu. It's a great distri, so keep up
the good work!