Windows codecs & MPlayer

Jared linux-jared at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 15 04:59:29 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 12:45 +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 08:22:32AM -0800, Bob Nielsen said
> > On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 10:55:30AM -0500, GR Gaudreau wrote:
> > > How would one go about getting codecs to play Windows midi and wmv
> > > files? I've read somewhere that mplayer utilizes such codecs, but
none
> > > of the repositories have it.
> >
> > Try this one:
> >
> > deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
>
> These won't install on warty, you need to use the testing version of
the
> packages.

>[GR]   I used 'testing' and installed mplayer from there. All I have to
>do now is download more codecs. BTW, it works, so thanks to that person
>who gave me the tip.

Hey. I followed the full instructions given in the HOWTO multimedia on
the Ubuntu forum and everything works great. XMMS streams audio files,
mplayer works etc. The only problem is that I cannot get Windows Media
type files to work. Any thoughts??? Did you get this working?

Thanks,

Jared

UBUNTU ROCKS!!!