add users to sudo file

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 03:47:24 UTC 2004

> > I haven't messed with the sudoers file in Ubuntu, but in YDL (and Linux
> > in general?) to give sudoers sudo powers, you have to edit the file
> > sudoers using a text editor called visudo, if I recall.
> >
> ...or 'sudo <any text editor> /etc/sudoers' will work.

the advantage of "visudo" instead of "any text editor" is that visudo
will do, before you save the file, some sanity checks and make sure
you don't have any syntax errors in your sudoers file.  That will
prevent most ways of screwing badly your sudoers files.  And Ubuntu is
especially vulnerable to a screwup in that fashion since,  if your
sudoers file is corrupts or buggy,  chances are good you will not be
able to do a sudo command to go repair it afterward.  And you don't
have a root login as a backup way to go re-modify your sudoers
files...

Personally I only use visudo to modify my /etc/sudoers just to play it safe.