USB CD drive, audio and ripping

janne jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Mon Nov 15 02:27:42 UTC 2004

I have a USB CD-player for my laptop. It works fine for data cd:s.

However, there is a problem/unintended consequence for audio CD:s.
Because of the hotplug architecture (I guess), the unit doesn't really
exist when having an audio CD in the drive. If I put a CD in the drive,
I will get the gnome-cd player going (which doesn't actually let me hear
anything). However, it does not seem possible to use any other
application (like grip) to access the audio CD - they protest (quite
correctly) that the device does not exist.

Is there a solution to this?

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden