VMware and packaging

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Mon Nov 15 01:56:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 04:51:12PM +1100, Christopher Vance said
> I would like to install VMware 4.5.2 to run on my amd64.  I already
> have the tar file used by portage to install on Gentoo (where it
> works, both on i686 and amd64 kernels), but would like to 'do it
> right' for Ubuntu/amd64.  (Ubuntu would be the host OS, the guest OSs
> will mostly be OpenBSD and maybe whatever e-smith is called these
> days.)
>
> I could just unpack the tarball somewhere and hope it works, but I'd
> like to know
>
> 1) is there a .deb somewhere (for amd64) I can install, that puts
> things in the 'normal' places?

If there is, only the vmware company can distribute them.  If you'd like
them to make ubuntu packages, ask them!

> 2) if not, is there a way of telling the packaging system I've
> installed some files, and that I want it (the packaging system) to
> keep track of them?

You can use checkinstall, or just install it to /usr/local/vmware/ or
whatever.

-rob

--
Words of the day:           Crypto AG Janet Reno red noise Crowell VX nerve gas