DRI support for S3 Savage8 chip - will Ubuntu support it in Hoary?

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Sun Nov 14 13:51:03 UTC 2004

Before running Ubuntu, I was a happy Debian user. I never got my S3
Savage8 video chip to work with Direct Rendering so I could use hardware
accelerated OpenGL, however.

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8
KM266/KL266]
Is the relevant part of the output of lspci.

I did read http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html, so I tried the
drivers at http://dri.freedesktop.org/~dri/snapshots/ . After quite a
bit of hassling I got it to compile but loading the module in XFree86
did not work out.

With Ubuntu it still doesn't work - at least not by default.

Question:
	Does Ubuntu aspire to get this to work by default, for example
	in Hoary?

If so:
	Is there anything I can do to help?

If not:
	Why not? Because of problems with migration to Xorg?

Thanks in advance,
Eric