Array CD 1

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Sat Nov 13 16:58:06 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 12:52:01AM +0800, John wrote:
>

>>It wasn't. I'd like to be able to maintain a source tree synchronised with
>>the CD images.
>

> The CD images are built from the current contents of the archive, so what
> you want is simply a mirror.

Not of the whole Ubuntu repository. Just of what's in the ISO.

Disk space permitting, I can mirror the whole of Debian. Debian is
mirrored on WAIX, and interchange of WA ISPs.

Ubuntu is not on WAIX, and when I start do download that I impionge on
various rules concerning limits, and the penalties involve throttling
and/or extra dollars: last I checked the extra dollars were tens of
dollars per gigabyte.

That aside, is suspect that identifying the specific source applicable
isn't straightforward.

It is fine by my employer for me to download stuff so long as it doesn't
inconvenience my employer.

I suspect bills and impaired bandwidth would count as inconveniences.

I've not yet seen one of your official CD packages but I assume it
includes source on CD in compliance with the GPL para 3.a). That's what
Red Hat does.

An ISO image would, of course, be most accessible, but a script
involving "apt-get source" and wget (if there's anything apt-get doesn't
get) might suit a lot of people.

If you already have a procedure in place to create a source ISO, then I
don't see that running it and publishing the result is a big deal.