Problem with Grub and SATA at installation

Bruno Dusausoy bdusauso at beeznest.net
Sat Nov 13 19:55:05 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have a friend who tried to install Ubuntu.

He has an ASUS P4P800 Motherboard with an Maxtor SATA drive. It's his
only drive in his computer.

He first partitioned his hard drive from Windows 2000 with Partion
Magic. He left 60Gbytes for Linux.

He then booted from the Warty install CD.
Everything went well, his hard drive was well detected.

The installation program did find a Windows installation, and asked if
my friend would like Grub to handle it automatically. He chose 'yes'.
When Grub tries to install itself on the hard disk, the process freezes
at exactly 50%, then nothing, absolutely nothing.

My friend retried (= rebooted and relaunched the install process) a few
times without any success, it's always stuck at 50% of the grub
installation.

It seems the SATA drive is detected like a SCSI one; I don't know if
this is relevant 'cause i don't know nothing about SATA.

I cannot give more information now because I'm not in front of his
computer, and he's a novice.

Maybe I can go at his home asap and send more informations about this
problem, but meanwhile, can somebody tell me if he has some ideas about
this ?
--
Bruno Dusausoy <bdusauso at beeznest.net>