Splash screen

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 15:29:22 UTC 2004

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 06:47:39 -0500, GR Gaudreau <grgaud at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> After a login -- using the gdm login screen -- I see a splash screen
> with the Ubuntu logo on it and so on. I'd like to change the background
> colour and the splash screen. What configuration file do I have to
> change to do this? Also, is there a program that does this?
>
> --
> GR Gaudreau
> <grgaud at gmail.com>
> Powered by Ubuntu Linux 4.10
> <http://www.ubuntulinux.org>

This always worked for me.

To change the splash screen, put the downloaded image in an
unobtrusive location (since it will need to remain there as long as
you want it to be the splash screen). A logical location would be
~/.gnome/splash.png (or .jpeg if the image is a JPEG). Then, edit the
GConf key /apps/gnome-session/options/splash_screen using the
Configuration Editor (Panel menu->System Tools->Configuration Editor).

I've never changed the background color, so you're on your won there.

Best of luck!

David

--
Registered Linux User #297958