"Burning" need

Kevin C. Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Sat Nov 13 15:05:50 UTC 2004

> hi,
> Am Samstag, den 13.11.2004, 03:45 -0500 schrieb Bryan Pizzuti:
>> Oh, one last thing.  K3B looks pretty good, but is anyone familiar
>> with a program under WIndows called Alcohol 120%?  Let's you burn CD
>> images in pretty much any format, or create them, and also lets one
>> mount them on a virtual CD device.  Anyone know of a Linux equivalent
>> (or equivalents) to this application?  It's handy at times.
> to make a iso you can use nautilus-cd-burner (as well as you can burn
> any kind of data cd with it) .... look in the menu of your filebrowser
> to find it.
>
> to burn a iso to disk, try the right click/context menu of the iso file
> ;)
>
> the "mount iso" functionallity has been in linux much longer than in
> windows.... unfortunately you have still to do a lot manual tweaking to
> get the mounting working (load the module for loop....mount manually),
> but probably someone solves this in ubuntu ;)
>
> ciao
> 	oli

This doesn't really answer the original question however, I think the
point is that you can get much of what you want using various utilities.
There isn't much out there like Alcohol 120% for linux just yet; K3B is as
close as it comes.
You can add functionality to Nautilus using scripts. The was discussed
on the list before. Put scripts into ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ and
the appear on the menu when you right click a file, etc.

This one will mount an ISO.
First #modprobe loop, add loop modules to the list in /etc/modules so it
will load on boot, then create the /media/ISO directory. Create a file
call Mount ISO in ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/; make is executable "chmod
744 Mount ISO.
#!/bin/bash
#
for I in `echo $*`
do
   foo=`gksudo -u root -k -m "enter your password for root terminal
   access" /bin/echo "got r00t?"`sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 $I /media/ISO
   done
done
exit0

This one will unmount the ISO
Put in in the same location, etc, but name it Umount ISO

#!/bin/bash
#
for I in `echo $*`
do
   foo=`gksudo -u root -k -m "enter your password for root terminal
   access" /bin/echo "got r00t?"`sudo umount $I
  done
done
exit0

Hope this helps somewhat.