making space (Re: Minimum disk space requirements?

Philippe Landau lists at mailry.net
Sat Nov 13 11:44:47 UTC 2004

Arnold Maestre wrote:
>>is there an inconvenience from deleting all files in
>>/var/cache/apt/archives/
>>(all .deb (installer) files) ?
> Apart from not being able to re-install without network connectivity, I
> don't think so. Beware though: the day when your connection breaks and
> you need to reinstall ppp, you're in trouble.
does synaptic use these files ?
it is not mentioned in the sources list.
also: can the cd be used for such a package re-install as well ?

> 'sudo apt-get clean' gets rid of older versions of the packages
> in /var/cache/apt/ . Again, if you're playing with Hoary, it might be
> usefull to keep some packages handy just in case you need to revert to a
> previous version to fix things.
could such an option be integrated into synaptic ?

>>what is the best way to see the biggest folders
>>and thus find big files hiding inside ?
> In a terminal, try
> du /path/where/you/wann/search -h --max-depth=1
> to see a list of directories with their size
thanks Arnold.
is it possible to have nautilus calculate all folder sizes too ?
or is there another GUI file manager for this ?
or something like midnight commander ?

Bill Christiansen wrote:
> I recovered about 700 MB when I deleted the .deb files from my package
> cache which was very handy on my laptop that only has a 4 GB drive so
> it's certaily a good idea when your tight on space.
i also got 1GB back now, a tenth of my disk space.
choose applications:system utilities:root-terminal: and type:
rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb

kind regards     philippe