Removable USB device very slow

Johan johansche at absamail.co.za
Fri Nov 12 16:06:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:31:36 +0000 (GMT)
Paul Sladen <sounder at paul.sladen.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Olivier wrote:
> > 	When my USB disk is plugged it is automatically mounted by HAL. But the
> > disk is mount with the sync option :
>
> I don't think removing the 'sync' option will speed it up much---USB is very
> slow (<1MB/second).
>
> Is there any chance it is a higher-speed USB 2.0 device and you are used to
> using it on machines with USB 2?  Could it be that Ubuntu is only loading
> USB1 drivers if it seems to be appreciably slower?
>
> 	-Paul
> --
It seems that ubuntu still needs to solve the problem with usb drives. Same in mdk 10.0 and suse 9.1.

Mandrake 10.1 and suse 9.2 .. I can transfer a 695mb iso from hda to sda in between 70 - 90 seconds.

In ubunto the same system it hangs.

--
Johan Sch
Registered linux user #333034