Suggestions on packages to add to Ubuntu "main"

zerohalo ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Nov 12 18:45:39 UTC 2004

A few suggestions of packages that would be generally useful to include
in Ubuntu main. These are small packages that provide features not
found in current packages supplied on the Ubuntu CD, so it's not just a
duplication:

- Gtodo: Small, clean but nicely done Gnome todo application, comes
with applet. Sure Evolution has tasks but that's way too much for most
people.

- Seahorse: GPG keymanager. Nate Nielson has picked up the ball with
this program that lay dormant for some time, and it's coming along
nicely.

- Gaim-Encryption: Plugin for Gaim enabling RSA encryption over any
chat protocol. Could easily just be bundled with Gaim. A lot of people
want to use encryption these days--not just geeks! And this one is
really hard to install from source due to dependency problems. There is
a debian packaged that contains Gaim+Gaim-Encryption.

- Gnome-bluetooth: Not everyone has it, but bluetooth is becoming more
and more common especially on laptops these days. Again, a small
package that wouldn't take up much space.

This next one is not so essential, but would be nice:

- beep-media-player: GTK version of XMMS, very nice especially for
Windows users switching to Linux and who are familiar with WinAmp. I
know we have RhythmBox, but this type of media player is very
different.

Another point for consideration. Perhaps this is heresy: But how about
dropping Totem in favor of MPlayer? I think most people would agree
that MPlayer is a much better player. The non-free codecs couldn't be
included, but people could just download those themselves by following
the wiki. I would recommend mozilla-mplayer as well.

--
zerohalo