odd nautilus issue

Paul Sladen sounder at paul.sladen.org
Fri Nov 12 13:55:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Bo [ISO-8859-1] Rosén wrote:

Hello Bo,

> If I put an emblem (that's not word in English, is it - those little
> icon things for important, cvs, ok etc) on a folder in nautilus it
> doesn't show if I go to the parent folder via a symlink.

I suspect it is keeping a list of directory paths and matching across them,
rather than using any '.dotfile' metadata in the directory.  If you have:

  /home/you/foo/bar

then create:

  /home/you/symlink -> /home/you/foo

and 'cd' into that, you'll now be in:

  /home/you/symlink/foo/bar

which is a different pathname...  Contrast this to the MS Windows world,
where their 'lnkfiles' are more like redirects.

If this is a Bug (probably is, since you applied it to the 'folder' itself,
rather than the position of the folder within the filesystem), then perhaps
Nautilus needs to store inode numbers, or reverse-decode the pathname to
find out where it really is.

This is without even bringing 'hardlinks' into it...

	-Paul
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  London, GB