Mirroring i386 locally

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Fri Nov 12 08:10:47 UTC 2004

David Collett wrote:

> So my question is, how would I obtain a similar mirror of ubuntu for
> this purpose?
> I know I can mirror the full archive with rsync, but thats 27GB and I
> only want one arch (i386), i368 only I would expect to be around 7GB
> which is acceptable. The way the achive is organised in 'pool' means
> theres no easy way to download i386 only, I'd have to do it
> intellegently using the package files or something.
>
> So is there a standard way for mirroring one architechure of a debian
> distrobution like this (or are there jigdo files for ubuntu DVD
> iso's?)

I'd like a DVD or CD image too.

However, Dave, if you have a reasonable network connexion consider
network installation.

Your options here are
apt-proxy (I don't know whether it works with ubuntu but it might)
Squid. Check that it caches suitable large files
Apache using proxy-pass.

This last is my favourite. I set up a vhost and install from that. You
don't need to tell the installer that it's using a proxy, it's not.

I've done this for RedHat, Fedora (installed through a modem!) and Debian.

The advantage of a proxy is that you download only those files _you_
need. After the first time a file's used, other systems get the file at
your LAN speed.

If you should want to roll your own install CD, the proxy logs have
recorded the files you need.