Warty installer does not create SCSI device

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 15:48:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:35:04 +0100, Oliver Grawert
<hostmaster at grawert.net> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 11.11.2004, 08:06 -0600 schrieb Tommy Trussell:
> > For whatever reason I cannot load the sg module. I get "file not
> > found" when I try to modprobe sg
> is your system up to date or did you remove anything ? the sg module is
> a default module in the ubuntu kernel it should be there in any case:
>
> the command (adjust the 386 to your arch if you try it):
> dpkg -S /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-3-386/kernel/drivers/scsi/sg.ko
> gives me:
> linux-image-2.6.8.1-3-386: /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-3-386/kernel/drivers/scsi/sg.ko
> and:
> sudo modprobe sg
>
> loads the module for my usb burner on my laptop....

MY APOLOGIES. I must have been sleeping when I tried it before because
everything you typed here worked today...

SO I added sg to /etc/modules
and sure enough, /dev/sg0 and /dev/sg1 were created AFTER I rebooted.
(I couldn't see how to hotplug them in "hot.")

Strangely, Hotplug put the two devices in different groups -- the CD-R
went into the disk group and the scanner went into the cdrom group  --
but I just realized there was a CD in the burner so probably that's
why. I'll just add the user to the disk group in case it happens
again.

Thank you for your assistance!

P.S.: WHY are all the command-line tools gone from the sane package? I
know you only need it once, but sane-find-scanner is very helpful when
trying to get a scanner working.