low memory warning during installation

Dave Lundy lundyd at dmapub.dma.org
Thu Nov 11 09:45:03 UTC 2004

I'm attempting to install Ubuntu on an old P133 with only 32 MB of RAM,
which I've read should be enough.  However, I repeatedly get "Entering low
memory mode" warnings stating "This system has relatively little free
memory... You should set up swap space as soon as possible."  Great!  How
do I do that?

I've had a fair amount of Linux experience, but virtually none with
Debian.  I used Ctl-Alt-F2 to get a shell and attempted to partition the
drive so I could create a swap partition, but couldn't find any
partitioning program (fdisk, cfdisk, etc.).  So how the heck am I supposed
to set up swap space?  I also tried using the automatic partitioner but it
aborted with the same Entering low memory mode message.

About a month ago I installed Ubuntu on my main PC without any difficulty,
but it has 512 MB of RAM.  It's a bit spartan, but I've been enjoying
using it and adding packages.
--
Dave Lundy <lundyd at dma.org> <http://www.dma.org/~lundyd>
          Visit the one and only Computerfest(R)