What programs will be updated in in warty?

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at canonical.com
Wed Nov 10 21:02:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 09:52:34PM +0100, hobbe wrote:
> What programs will see update in the stable branch?

Ones that have security issues, in which case all you will see is a
small-as-possible patch updating the security issue(s), and the security
issue(s) only.

> Some programs that I use quite heavily have reach a new or already had a
> new version when Ubuntu Warty was released.
>
> They are not uncommon programs, in fact quite common.
>
> [snip stuff]
>
> Firefox, the final version is out. I REALLY hope warty will include this
> in it's repository soon, then version that is in Warty right now has som
> irritating small bugs. And all extensions for that gets released for
> firefox will target the 1.0 from now on.

Yes, and probably many more bugs.  For example, the 1.0 Preview Release
segfaulted whenever a JavaScript popup came up.

> [snip stuff]
>
> I really hope Warty and other releases from Ubuntu doesn't follow
> debian's path were you all most every time have to live with 2-5version
> behind the latest when using above and other programs. Even in
> unstable.

Hoary is our development branch.

> XFree86 would be nice to see be changed to X.org, but as I understand
> debian is waiting for x.org to become completely modulelized since
> Xservers has been to large and complicated packages to do the "debian
> way" every new release so they just stopped after XFree86 4.3. The
> debian way is to also make sure that it works on all the 10 different
> plattform that debian is released for. Ubuntu only have 3 targets, x86,
> x86_64 and PPC.
> But as I understand, next big release from ubuntu will see X.org even if
> if is not released for debian. It was just to big of a project for
> warty.

Hoary already has X.Org 6.8.1, which myself and many others are running
right now.  It was originally going to be modularised for Warty, but it
was just too much work; at present, the modular tree has drifted from
the monolithic upstream tree a bit, so is behind in features and
bugfixes, and would suck to support security-wise, so the decision was
made to go with the monolithic tree for the time being.

> Nice to see ubuntu using the debian policy of creating stable and
> integrated binary packages but with the speed in release and development
> of Gnome.
> Ubuntu is what Debian fail to become. A modern, fresh, FREE, easy to
> use, up-to-date (if they could update the above programs also would be
> nice) Linux for all most every user.

Already updated in Hoary, almost certainly (Firefox in Hoary is 1.0RC).

--
Daniel Stone                                        <daniel.stone at canonical.com>