two network cards

Wouter Eerdekens retuow at xs4all.be
Wed Nov 10 21:02:25 UTC 2004

David Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 17:34 +0100, Wouter Eerdekens wrote:
> One last question - if I do not first add the network card
> to /etc/network/interfaces, will I not see it at all when I execute
> ifconfig without arguments?  That is normal???

Yes, that's normal. If you configure the card manually with ifconfig,
you'll obviously see its configuration when you execute ifconfig without
arguments. But the debian way of configuring network cards is through
/etc/network/interfaces.

The initscript that takes care of configuring the network
(/etc/init.d/networking) uses this file to configure the network cards.
If you do not put the configuration in this file, no automatic
configuration will be done and ifconfig won't have anything to show you.

> Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

You're welcome.

--
Wouter Eerdekens
                                     "Revenge is a dish best served cold"