ubuntu for novices

Panos raven3 at freemail.gr
Wed Nov 10 19:22:51 UTC 2004

First i'd like to make clear that i'm a newbie myself. I've tried Suse
9.1(KDE) Personal, Mandrake 9.2(Gnome) and now Ubuntu(plan to stick with
this). Out of the three the most user-friendly and with most
out-of-the-box functionality semmed to be Mandrake(despite 9.2 being
quite old). I had performance probs with Suse and had to go through a
lot of trouble to get DVD playback due to their modified version of
Kaffeine that refuses to play them. I had to i reinstall both kaffeine
and xine, but playback was sluggy at best. Mandrake had playback out of
the box. I liked the Gnome layout . All in all it looked good. Now
Ubuntu is my favourite of the 3 but i think it could use a few more
automated processes(and a few more packages in the default cd maybe) if
Ubuntu is to also target newbies imho. It's still ok though even for
newbies, i think, since this list seems quite newbie friendly and has
been quite helpfull and friendly to me as well.