loop-AES and ubuntu

poptones ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Nov 10 15:05:47 UTC 2004

-it is possible to mount your hom-directory through it, but only with
ups or a laptop (you don't want to loose power on an encrypted
file-system), so i can't test it.-

FWIW I have been using a loopback encrypted userland (/usr, /usr/var,
/usr/home, /usr/tmp) partition with mandrake for quite a long time and
have never had an issue with data loss. And mdk is REALLY not suited
for use like this as it refuses to release the encrypted /usr to allow
proper shutdown (ie it NEVER got shut down properly). Maybe it was just
luck, but it worked a very long time on many machines before I switched
to a "real" linux :)

If you want to protect your privacy on your laptop you really need to
encrypt /var and /tmp and /swap as well, since userland data also gets
stored there. I stuck them all in /usr to make it easy to mount at boot
(ie one passphrase, no messing with keyfiles)

--
poptones