oldworld macs [Was: WARTY review]

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Wed Nov 10 13:37:12 GMT 2004

Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 05:08:57AM +0800, John said
>
>>b) Following a power failure it's in need of an "e2fsck -y." sulogin
>>won't let me in. Bloody stupid Debian.
>

> To be fair, that sounds like your disk is screwed up.

It might be, but that's not the problem. The problem is Debian went
overboard with misconceived security.

If anyone has physical access to the pooter they've got the data. All
they have to do is put the drive into another.

Luckily for me, I have SCSI kit around and I can do that when/if I drum
up the energy. OTOH the Pentium II does a fine job, they just about get
thrown away at auction so cost isn't a concern.

Mostly, I wanted VPN configs & such. And firewall.

>>There's no boot menu: screen doesn't warm up enough to display anything
>>until it's in the fsck.
>>
>>I've tried booting a Sarge CD, a recovery CD I found on a Linux Format CD...
>

> Can old-world Macs boot CDs at all?

I think I booted something. How does one install Mac Os on them?