Suggestion for new repository of software - new versions, of software in between Ubuntu releases

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Wed Nov 10 09:50:50 UTC 2004

Hi

On Wed, November 10, 2004 4:34, Jeff Waugh said:
> Who would trust a stable release that keeps changing on them, with new

That ought to be true, but Gentoo and the usage of sid by people other
than debian developers suggest otherwise.

My experience of ISVs is that they won't really bother tracking the
updates of a frozen-almost-solid stable release (especially the ones that
release binary kernel modules). Meanwhile users get frustrated because
they can't run the latest stuff anymore, or have to hack on great piles of
stuff just to keep vaguely current (I'm pointing at the huge mess that is
the third party fedora repositories).

A vastly more unified packaging system across all distros and everything
being more mature so API/ABI changes are rarer (for the few things that
wouldn't just be autobuilt up to the latest version) would allow a
"rolling stable" distro, imo.

For one final and even more tenuous imo, said rolling stable will be
extremely popular.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones