ubuntu for novices

Travis Newman travis at moneyburger.com
Wed Nov 10 04:22:54 UTC 2004

>Knoppix includes qtparted but I don't do NTFS so I don't know if it
>will resize that. IMHO qtparted is inscrutable like the traditional
>parted, just in a friendlier GUI kind of way.
>
>I was able to use Knoppix with qtparted to rearrange some linux
>partitions so as they say... nothing succeeds like success.

So I've been thinking about repartitioning my drive to the traditional
unix format, eg. having one partition for /home, one for /usr, one for
/boot... And I'd like it if I didn't have to reinstall Ubuntu again.
That may be too much to ask, but... What are the advantages of doing
that, if anyone knows? I could (apparently) easily use the Knoppix cd to
repartition my drive and move everything over, edit the fstab and the
grub config and theoretically be good to go, right?