yesterday's hoary updates: gnome problems

Vic Ayres vic at ayresonline.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 21:21:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 08:37 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 08:33 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Since yesterday's hoary updates gnome on my computer has become slower
> > at booting and
>
> Apologies for incomplete message. As I was saying, gnome is now slower
> when starting up, and the menus are also less responsive and take longer
> to load when i click on them. The only possible relevant package that I
> saw changed was the replacement of "fam": could this have caused my
> problem? has anyone else seen it? In any case, does anyone know how I
> might go about solving it, if there is a quick fix?
>
> Thanks very much, Matt

Yes, I also see this. I notice also that opening Nautilus (via Computer
- Home) takes around 15 seconds with a further 20 seconds before the
icons appear. Previously, this was nearly instantaneous. But, if I use
Computer - Disks, it takes about 5 seconds.

Finally, if I launch it from a terminal I get
failed to find gam_server
failed to exec (null)
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-vic-
failed to find gam_server
failed to exec (null)
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-vic-
(But it opens eventually anyway).

--
Vic Ayres