how unstable is hoary?

Travis Newman travis at moneyburger.com
Tue Nov 9 20:56:13 UTC 2004

Ross D wrote:

>I was just wondering how unstable hoary actually is.  Which version of
>debian does hoary's stability compare to (testing, unstable,
>experimental, etc).  Do those using it notice frequent bugs and
>crashes with everday use, like if you try and use mandrake's cooker as
>a complete OS, or is it just occasional problems while things work
>right most of the time.
>
>I ask because I'd really like to take advantage of the later versions
>of packages that are already in hoary or I assume will be shortly
>(gaim 1.0.2, firefox 1.0, thunderbird 0.9, xorg, openoffice 1.1.3,
>linuxkernel 2.6.9, etc.

I'll tell you, I've been using it for a few days now, and with the
exception of the Composite extension for xorg, I have had NO bugs yet.
That doesn't seem to be the general consensus though. There will be
bugs, I probably just have the right hardware so that it's working out
better for me than some. Definitely use it at your own risk, but I'd
suggest giving it a shot. Maybe install it on a separate partition to
test first, just so nothing gets borked.

Travis