Thermal module, THRC vs THRS

Loptr Chaote loptr.chaote at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 06:41:53 UTC 2004

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 19:09:53 -0800, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:
> Those names are supplied by your system's BIOS, so their meaning is up to
> the manufacturer.
>
> My guess would be that they are thermal sensors for the CPU and the System.

Thank you Matt, that makes sense indeed. After looking around some
more I now better understand the nature of ACPI.. From what I've now
learnt, most laptop-specific stuff (including "Function/Application
buttons") are part of the acpi-interface. Any idea on how to add
support for those buttons if they don't show up by default? (On my
laptop I have four six of those keys, including "Mail" and "Wireless"
[the wlan works great without that key though, but I could use it for
something else]..)

I had a really negative view of acpi previously, since so many people
seems to have problems with it. (A lot of people recommend acpi=off as
first attempted solution when experiencing installation or boot
problems etc..)

Thank you all for your patience with my questions. I've never had
"cutting edge" hardware before and have therefore allways been able to
rely on trusted stable [legacy] drivers.

-L.C