Is there a memory bloat issue with ubuntu library compilation?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Mon Nov 8 01:24:44 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 08:59:43PM +0100, Miravlix wrote:

> I've been a C programmer for 20 years now and used GCC most of that
> time. So could we get back to the topic instead of talking about who has
> the biggest?

You have made some claims that Ubuntu uses excessive memory, and blamed this
effect on hypothetical incorrect compilation techniques.  If indeed there is
an aberration, we would of course be interested in the cause.  However,
there isn't anything that we can do based on the information that you have
provided so far.

When discussing performance and resource utilization, it is important to
stay close to the facts.  To reiterate, here's what we need to know:

- The means by which you performed your measurements, with sufficient detail
  that your experiment can be repeated

- The exact nature of the compilation differences to which you are alluding

--
 - mdz