A comment and some questions.

Travis Newman travis at moneyburger.com
Sun Nov 7 17:34:48 UTC 2004

>All this rambling brings me to my questions:
>
>1) Where is a good resource for learning Linux.  I need both quick
>"How To"s and some in-depth reference material.
>
>2) I want to add a SCSI card and a SCSI 4MM tape drive to a already
>configured system that doesn't have them now.  Is there a re-probe
>method that would detect and load the necessary drivers to allow me to
>use that tape drive?
>
>Thanks for listening.
>
>Steve Bromley

First off Steve, welcome to Ubuntu! I think you picked a good distro to
start on (It made my not very technologically inclined girlfriend switch
to Linux, if that tells you anything). I don't know how you never had
the urge for Linux before :) I've been using it since I found out it
existed (about 3 months after I got my first computer). I didn't know
anything about it, so I kept getting frustrated, going back to Windows,
getting the Linux urge again, getting frustrated again, etc... until I
really became comfortable with it. So my first advice is to STICK WITH
IT. It's worth it. Now for your first question, for the quick how-tos,
forums, wikis, and mailing lists are the best in my experience. The
ubuntu forums (http://www.ubuntuforums.org) have some great howtos, and
the wiki on www.ubuntulinux.org is growing pretty well. That's one
benefit of Ubuntu. It has a great community. As far as in-depth
material, I'd suggest the O'Reilly books on Linux. They've always been
great in my experience. Unfortunately the books aren't "open source" so
you'll have to buy them, or download them in pdf format from your
favorite file sharing network if you don't mind a little bit of legally
questionable conduct. It's pretty easy to find what you're looking for
though. I've found in depth tutorials and such on the web in just a few
minutes of searching with http://www.google.com/linux and, with the
exception of some distributions doing things a little differently, they
work like a charm.

So I've rambled a lot now, and I'm sure some people will have some more
to offer to you on your first question. As for your second question, I
have no clue, but I'm assuming yes. Someone else will have to give you
the how's on that one, though.

Again, welcome to the community, and I hope things go well for you here :)
Travis Newman